Monday, December 29, 2008

The American Dream

A few days ago, I purchased a local sim card for my phone. Turned out that the guy selling phone accessories was Filipino as well. We talked for a bit while he was trying to sell me on the advantages of getting the stupid sim card from him. I told him I was just visiting then he asked me why not just stay. Here in America. As in TNT and hide from Immigration and hope for the best.

It took me two seconds to think about it and yet it was like so much went through my mind. The first thing I thought was "why should I?". Not that I'm a snob or anything but I never really got that urge to escape to America. I mean, I have a good job, I'm independent and well, I just don't want too. But while people around me thought that going to the states was the answer to their problems, and I admit that for awhile I thought that too. I don't think I ever believed it but I remember thinking it but I never acted on it no matter how many chances I had.

The thing is, I'm at a point in my life where I'm trying to figure out where I want to settle down. I work in Papua New Guinea, I go home to the Philippines every 8 weeks and I'm now in LA. I just feel that something's gotta give. I can't go on like this right? I gotta put down some roots right? Otherwise, I just may end up alone and not have a place to call home. I guess that's what this really is about, home. I'm trying to figure out where I should spend the prime of my life. I'm thinking that I should pick a country and just pop up. What do you think? I'm thinking France...or maybe New Zealand? or Perth! I don't know..I have to give it some serious thought. The Japanese girl that I currently share an apartment with just popped up here in LA. Of course she speaks english but the point is, if she can do it surely so can I right? Right. Now if only I know what I want.

No comments: