Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Kids!


I spent the weekend with my niece. She's 7 years old, she practically grew up with me. She's really smart and funny. She likes books about greek mythology and egyptology. Ask her about Tutankhamen and Cleopatra and she could go on and on and on.

Anyway, last friday we were in a bookstore when her mom handed me a book about a prince or something like that (I wasn't interested so I don't remember). But then my niece, in all her panic, said noooo! You can't read that! You might fall in love and you can't fall in love!

Well, I said what do you think Love is?

I could see in her eyes that she was contemplating whether to answer me truthfully or not.

She decided to strike a deal. She said " I will tell you what I think but only what I think ok. It's not the real answer but you have to promise not to tell anyone."

She said " I think love is magic. But some people, like when the husbands are cheating on the moms, they think love stinks!"

Then she goes, what about you? What do you think is the meaning of love?

I almost panicked. I didn't have an answer. What can I say to a 7 year old kid without showing how jaded I've become? and without affecting what she thought? Did I want her not to think that love stinks? Or do I confirm that love does stink?

It's a good thing her mom walked in on us at that moment. I changed the subject. But until now, I keep thinking what I would have answered.

What is the answer? I don't know.

No comments: