Friday, October 27, 2006

At Your Own Risk

A few nights ago, as my friends and I were walking home, we passed a man who was sitting on the steps of one of the residential buildings. He asked if any of us knew how to speak english, I think he was part american, he then went on to explain that his wallet got stolen and could we spare him a small amount of money just enough for his bus fare home.

I know, I know! Don't talk to strangers blah blah blah. I've been told that my whole life. But it's just difficult when someone is asking for help. I always have this inner dilemma as to whether I should help or not. I sometimes try to analyze if a person is telling the truth, I ask myself if I should just help anyway? If I do, am I just helping support their drug addiction?? But the thing is, I feel that if they realy do need help then at least I was able to help out even if it turns out to be a lie.

Needless to say, I probably do end up supporting theur drug addiction. What can I say? I have lapses, I can be as gullible as next person especially when I leave my brain at home!

I'm sure we've all heard this story before. Everywhere I go there are people with the same MO. But we fell for it. Hook, line and sinker.I think we all left hoping that the man was telling the truth. That we were able to help him somehow.

Anyway, I ran into the man again. He must've not recognized me since he gave me the same story.

I laughed. I guess the first thought in my head when I saw him was " oh shit, we got duped."

I felt kinda sad though as I thought about it more. I guess it kinda feels like he proved all that is wrong with this world. I felt that he also proved that some people will always take advantage of you no matter how good you are.

I haven't told my friends. I'm not ready. Maybe tomorrow..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Money for the bus ride home? Maybe he lives far far away and the cash he has collected wasn't enough.

Part American huh? Did he speak fluent English? Was he even cute? lol.

Maybe he hopes to catch the smoking bus. It's a one way ticket and the bus flies over the ocean skipping like a rock on waves.

Lost said...

Hahaha! Puff the magic dragon bus lines.

Nope, not cute at all. Not even close, not even when he was a baby I think.

Anonymous said...

I also fell victim to these people! Hahaha. Perhaps there's that "good samaritan" trait in us...hahaha.

By the way, thanks for your comment. Uh, I also lost to my nephew on PS2...for the record. :-)

Lost said...

Haha, well we women have a reputation to live up to when it comes to PS2! :0