Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I'm Sorry

The mother of my close friend is dying. I guess the doctors gave up...she's dying of cancer and she has less than one year to live.

In some ways I guess you could say that you are lucky to have enough time to take care of things, say goodbye and leave with peace. But then you're dying. No one knows what comes after that. And it's the people you leave behind that will have to cope with picking up the pieces.

What do you say to the person who's waiting for her mother to die? How do you find the right words? How do you say that you'll be there for her and sound like you mean actually mean it. How do you say you're sorry without giving a speech of generic bullshit?

The thing is, I cannot even begin to comprehend what she must be going through. I don't want to be a hypocrite and pretend that I know how it must be when I probably would end up dying too should this happen to me. I just cannot imagine life without my mother.

Oh cha, I really am sorry. I wish I knew what to say. I wish I knew how to make you feel better. But I don't. So I will not say anything but I know that with years of friendship between us, you know that I am here praying for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...made me sad for her.

Cest la vie.