Thursday, November 09, 2006

Sandra

I just downloaded a Barry Manilow song called "Sandra". Ok, so to some people that just might be pushing it but to others he is still a classic. Probably really baduy espcially since I'm adding on to his list of songs like "Mandy" and "Somewhere Down the Road" to my iPod.

But what can I say? I have my moods, so there are times when I'm in the mood for really sappy songs just so I can emote. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of RnB songs so my tastes vary from sappy to funky. Don't worry, I also have "Shake that Ass For Me" by Eminem and Nate Dogg and "Dreaming with a Broken Heart " by John Mayer and other tasteful songs in that genre. So there's hope for me yet.

So anyway, as I was saying, I was listening to "Sandra" and I realized that the girl in the song committed suicide. (I think)

She was doing the dishes
When a glass fell and broke on the tile
And she cut her wrist (quite by mistake)
It was real touch and go for a while

I grew up with this song and I only now realized what this song really means. Just like when my mom spent the whole afternoon watching Myx and MTv, she realized that songs from my generation actually makes sense.

Interesting. When I was young I wanted to be called Sandra instead of Isabelle and yet I lived my life afraid that this would be the theme song of my life.

She says Oh God I love my husband and I love my kids
You know I wanted to be like my, my mother
But if I hadn't done it as soon as I did
Oh there might have been time to be me
For myself, for myself


I'm so weird!

3 comments:

katy said...

nowt wrong with a bit of barry.
my mate is called sandra and she hate's it!

Anonymous said...

Aah. Barry Manilow songs. This Martian likes sappy songs too.

Isabelle is a nice name. Very feminine.

Lost said...

And yet I get into fist fights!!